Driver’s Education – Prospective Students & Parents
It is now time to start planning for the Driver’s Education Program in Lisbon. The summer course of Driver’s Education will be offered to all students who are of appropriate age. Individuals are eligible for driver’s education instruction when they are 14 years of age. We recommend that your child not be enrolled until such a time that he or she will have reached the legal licensing age by the time of course completion.
Please remember that it is a privilege to drive a vehicle and must be earned. Not all young people are ready physically or emotionally. These students should delay the Driver’s Education Program to a later date.
A student whose age is not 14 when we start the classroom session may still participate in that part of the class. If this student reaches the age of 14 before the Behind the Wheel driving sessions are completed, he or she will be allowed to finish the driving course as well.
Classroom instruction will be Tuesday, May 26 through Saturday, May 30th, The classroom work will consist of 30 hours of MANDATORY attendance and participation. Class will be held in the Lisbon Middle School band and choir room.
All students must have their valid driving permit BEFORE they are allowed to drive in the Behind the Wheel driving course. Driving schedules will be set during the classroom sessions for all drivers.
Enrollment for the class can take place by picking up a form from the office or down loading it from the Lisbon School website.
If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to call at the school – 1-701-683-4106.
Lisbon Driver’s Education Instructor
Permit and License Information
The North Dakota legislature passed a minor licensing law for individuals under the age of 18 in 1999.
– Any person who is at least 14 years old may apply for an instruction permit. Applicants must pass a vision test and a test of rules of the road and traffic signs. The booklet (Rules for the Road) for studying this test may be picked up at any local Department of Transportation.
– Students must have a certified copy of their birth certificate and social security card when appearing for the test.
– Instruction permits are valid for one year.
– The student must be accompanied by a license driver at least 18 years of age, who has had at least three years of driving experience. An individual other than the supervising driver and permit holder may not be in the front seat unless the vehicle has only a font seat ( like a pickup), in which case the supervising driver must be seated next to the permit holder.
– The instruction permit must be held for six months prior to attempting the road test for an operator’s license. If under the age of 16, a driver education course must also be completed prior to the road test. Road tests must be scheduled with the testing agency.
– Upon successful completion of the road test, a restricted license will be issued. Anyone under the age of 16 is restricted to parent or legal guardian’s vehicles or with vehicles equipped with dual controls.
– Any person under the age of 16 cannot carry more passengers than the vehicle manufacturer’s suggested passenger capacity.
– The director shall cancel the permit or license of a minor under 18 years of age who accumulated six or more points on their driving record or commits an alcohol-related offense while operating a motor vehicle. Any person under the age of 21 is presumed under the influence if the BAC is .02 percent or higher.
– A minor, under 18, whose permit or license has been cancelled in this manner will be considered as never having a permit or license before. An instruction permit will be issued after successful completion of another driver education course and the required six months holding period of the permit.
– Further information maybe gathered by reading the North Dakota Department of Transportation’s RULES OF THE ROAD booklet.