Interested in becoming a substitute teacher? Download the full Licensure document here.
Minimum Requirements for Substitute License
- Official transcripts showing 48 semester hours of college education (72 quarter hours)
- Successful background check with ESPB
How to Apply for License
- Click on ND Teach Apply Online
- Submit your online application for the Interim Substitute Teaching license
- Do NOT submit a permit application.
- Get official transcripts to ESPB
- Paper applications are available if you call 701-328-9641.
Print Fingerprint Instructions from ESPB Website
- Go to ESPB Website
- Pages 3 and 4 need to be completed and returned to ESPB with your cards and a money order or cashier’s check for $44.50.
- ND uses ink fingerprints. If you are not in ND and need us to mail you fingerprint cards, please call us at 701-328-9641.
Substitute License Fees
- One Time ESPB Application Fee $30.00 (paid on-line)
- Fingerprinting Fee $44.50 (paid with money order or cashier’s check)
- Substitute License for two years $85.00 (paid on-line)
Substitute License Restrictions
- You may not sign a teaching contract or be the Teacher of Record while on a substitute teaching license.
- If you have not earned a bachelor’s degree, you will be limited to 30 consecutive days in the same classroom.
Substitute License Timelines
- Once ESPB gets your fingerprint cards, background check forms, and money order/cashier’s check, it takes approximately 3-4 weeks to get results back.
- You will get an email when your background check results have been entered.
- Once your application status moves to “approval” it generally takes a couple days for the license to be issued.
- You’ll get another email when the license is issued and instructions on how to print your license.
- Then you’ll need to contact the district(s) where you’d like to substitute teach and follow their procedures to get signed up to substitute teach.
Had a teaching license in ND that expired?
- If your teaching license expired more than 5 years ago, you can apply for a Re-Entry license with just a new background check
- Or you could apply for a substitute teaching license with a new background check. All teaching content is removed from the teaching license when moving to a sub license.
Alternate Access License
- Have a bachelor’s degree in a content area you want to teach?
- If a school needs a teacher in your content area and they can’t find a fully qualified applicant, they could request this license for you.
- You could have up to three years to complete education coursework.
Call or email ESPB
- We thank you for your interest in teaching in North Dakota!